The police want to speak with me, what should I do?

If you are suspected of committing a crime or a "person of interest" in a police investigation, they may want to speak with you and conduct an interview, in order to get your side of the story.

Even people who are completely innocent of any wrongdoing should be wary to volunteer information to the police, as anything you say can and will be used against you if charges were to be brought.

If police want to question you, you may invoke your right to have an attorney present during questioning. Your attorney will help you maintain the set of facts that happened, establish your alibi, limit the questions you have to answer, and much more. This is for your own protection as police will do whatever they can in order to get the information they think you have.

Police can and will lie to you. They will lie about the suspects they are currently interviewing, they will lie about what they currently know about an alleged crime being committed, they will lie about what others have told them; anything to get the answers they want.

Therefore, it is in your best interest to retain an attorney before you volunteer to be interviewed by the police. You may also invoke your right to an attorney if you have already been placed under arrest. You do not need to say anything to investigators other than you wish for your attorney to be present.

Do not allow police to twist your own words for their benefit, always have an attorney present during questioning.

Disclaimer: This article is made available by the publisher for educational purposes only, as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the publisher’s interpretation of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. This information may not reflect the law in your jurisdiction. By using this site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the publisher. All information in this article is the opinion of the publisher and may not reflect future developments in this field. This website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.