Recent Posts



What is a Petition to Revoke in Illinois?

Many people who are charged with a crime in Illinois may be familiar with what court supervision is (an article explaining it is linked below if you are not). If you've received court supervision as part of your guilty plea then you must complete all ordered conditions of your plea. This can include things such as: fulfilling your community service hours, paying all fines and court costs, attending classes, and many others.

If you do not complete all the ordered conditions by the of your supervision date, then the prosecuting party may send you a letter in the mail called a petition to revoke. This will revoke your court supervision and turn your plea into a conviction.

As you can guess, you certainly don't want a criminal conviction on your record if the prosecutor was offering court supervision, which is not considered a conviction.

Luckily, the court will considering vacating the conviction and reinstating your supervision if you motion for it. As long as you have a good defense, among other factors, the court will grant the motion in many cases. An attorney can help guide you through this process if you are unfamiliar with the judicial system.

The take-away here is you should almost always make an effort to get your court supervision back, otherwise you will have a criminal conviction on your record, and you don't want that.

Disclaimer: This article is made available by the publisher for educational purposes only, as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the publisher’s interpretation of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. This information may not reflect the law in your jurisdiction. By using this site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the publisher. All information in this article is the opinion of the publisher and may not reflect future developments in this field. This website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.